Thursday, December 29, 2011

Rusted Cog

I was wondering how to make a Cog in inkscape. I wondered and wondered, until I made it. It was pretty simple actually. Here is what I made.



There are a few things that I learnt while making this.

  1. I had to create the tooth of the cog. For that I had to create a circle, create a square and then somehow render multiple copies of the tooth on the circle. For that I had to first convert the circle and the rectangle to paths. Then select Extenstion->Generate from Path-> Pattern along path. In the dialog that follows, choose the following. This will render the squares on the circle.

  2. Next thing I did was to import a texture for the cog. Did it via File->Import bitmap. Then I resized the texture, selected the cog, in the fill section, select the patterns (it looks like a checked box). Then select the texture.
  3. I duplicated and made the duplicate a black just to give the image a slight 3D effect.


To my annoyance, the image did get a bit screwed up when exporting to bitmap. The texture seems broken in the middle. I am guessing its just a bug, or maybe its happening bcos of the grungy texture. I tried exporting it a few times, but all in vain. Nevertheless, the cog looks pretty ok.

Signing Off
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment