Friday, December 30, 2011

Make Grunge Brushes Using Inkscape

I checked out an awesome tutorial on how to make grunge brushes using Inkscape and then use them in GIMP. I created 3 grunge brushes. Then I imported them in GIMP, and created a background using my own grungy textures. Its pretty random, but was cooool.

Here's my own brush painting.




Here are the brushes that  I created. I used the third one for creating the above image.











There were a few things that I learnt while making these.

  1. Pressing 1 in inkscape takes you to 100% zoom level.
  2. You can trace a bitmap in inkscape via - Path->Trace bitmap.
  3. If you select any one of the Multple scans option when tracing a bitmap, then you get multiple images which need to be ungrouped and then separated.
  4. You can open a png in gimp, Image->Flatten. Then save it as a gimp brush (.gbr file) as long as the color mode is RGB or Grayscale. To do that goto Image->Mode-> RGB/Grayscale.
  5. Applying jitter when using a brush is a very cool way to generate computerized randomness to your grungy image.


Signing Off
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment