Monday, January 16, 2012

Understanding Linked Offset in Inkscape

I was trying to create some text effects similar to the tutorial here. I did not go as far as the tutorial because my system was behaving annoyingly slow due to the linked offset that I had to do to get the effect. Here's what I ended up making.




I did learn a couple of things.
You can pretty much do anything to text and make it look crazy wazy once you convert it to a path. I simply used the sans format, converted the text to a path, ungrouped them and then modified the text using the path tool.

The important thing about the linked offset is that if you create a path, and then create a linked offset to it, the path and the offset layer are linked such that if you move or modify the path, the linked offset automatically takes the new shape and size. It even relocates if the original path is relocated. That is awesome. BUT, it really slowed down my machine.

Moral of the story 
  1. Do a linked offset after you have fidgeted around enough with the original, else you'd be wasting your time. Make only minor tweaks after you've done a linked offset. 
  2. Secondly, the linked offset looks pretty good if you want a curvy outline. If a sharp edged outline is what you are looking  for, then you can simply do a duplicate and change the color. That would be less processor intensive.
I also learnt a tiny little thing about kerning, regarding how to rotate characters. Use the alt + [ or alt + ]. I didn't use it in this image, but hell yeah, ye could do that if ye were so inclined!

Signing Off
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment