Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Chromium Effect In Inkscape

I saw this awesome looking text on another of heathenx's site and decided to work it out. This time, he deals with creating a chromium looking text in Inkscape. I tried to make the same. Here is how mine landed up.


Making this was surprisingly easy. But there were still a few tips that were covered in the screencast that gonna be pretty handy.
  1. Since filters are resource hogs, once you apply a filter, your Inkscape is definitely going to slow down. In order to prevent that, you can temporarily turn off the rendering of the filter from View->Display Mode -> No Filters. Really useful. When you are done with all your work, you can always get your filters back from View->Display Mode -> Normal.
  2. When you create a chrome effect, you end up getting up the text that is transparent.So, you need to use it like an overlying mask on your original text.
  3. Not everything went smoothly. When I tried to align my white text with the chromium filtered text, the chromium text was getting blurred. In order to get it working, i had to open the Edit Filter dialog and uncheck and recheck the Chome filter in the list of filters for the text. I am guessing it is some sort of a bug. The version of inkscape that I am using is 0.48.1.


The Edit Filter options are still a mystery to me!

Oh, and I was just listening to this awesome song after I finished! While at it, you might wana check it out too. Of course, don't listen to it when listening to the screencast :) 





Signing Off
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment