Monday, January 2, 2012

Jewel Case Using Inkscape

Back from work, I decided to go about doing another of heathenx's screencasts. I must admit, they are really good. This screencast shows you how to create a jewel case using Inkscape.

I made a little bit of modifications. Here's mine.



There were a few things that I learnt as I worked on my own version
  1. By pressing Shift and selecting a color from the color palette, you can change the color of the stroke. By default, when you don't press shift, the fill is the default target of the color selection.
  2. Adding radial gradients to the stroke can create a very decent depth effect. Its something I just hadn't realized earlier.
  3. I also learnt that there is something called as the 'Dynamic Offset' and 'Linked Offset' in inkscape. The documentation is available here. Such a cool feature that I didnt know about. The Linked offset seems even cooler. Although I still need to figure out where it can be used. Any ideas?
  4. I came to know of a new menu option : Object - Rows and Columns. I the tutorial, it is used to layout multiple lines in parallel to each other as the sidebar of the jewel case. I tried to do the same using the Create Tiled Clones that I learnt about a couple of days ago, but I could not make it work. I wonder why. That certainly needs some investigation.


I have a feeling of glee when I look at this image!

Signing Off
Ryan

No comments:

Post a Comment